Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Growing...


As I blogged about before, we are doing a small group about parenting this semester.  I started reading a book before we started our small group that is different from the book for the small group curriculum.  It's about parenting as well, but not along with the "Growing Kids God's Way" curriculum.  God was working on my heart about this before I even realized it.  I am pretty much obsessed with it!  If you are a parent, or plan to be soon you MUST read "Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-absorbed World" by Jill Rigby.  She has another book I want to read as well.  You can check her website out here.
I have always wanted to be a good Mom, not just good but great.  Great in the sense that my kids love me, want to hang out with me, they are happy, find their purpose on earth, and ultimately they grow to love Jesus and know Him intimately.  That is my definition of being a good Mom, I'm sure there are other things to add but that pretty much sums it up for me. :)
Throughout reading this book (I'm about halfway through), I have realized things about myself as well.  It's been just as beneficial for me as a Mom of 2 and a follower of Jesus.  I started reading this for my kids, and of course God has used it to speak to me as well so that I can speak Him to Mark and Alyssah.  He has a way of doing that ;)  He is SO awesome!
This is a quote from the chapter I am currently reading.  It just reminds me over and over that as parents, we have to be so intentional with our children.  If we don't someone or something else will grab their attention from the One we desire them to be close to.  Of course, we remember to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us and God's sovereignty over every situation and moment they are not with us.  I have to remind myself to give my kids to Him daily because as much as I want to, I can't control everything!

["The voices of the world only get stronger as our children grow older, pulling them into pursuits that feed their self-centeredness, telling them 'it's all about you'."  The greatest protection we can give them is the ability to hear God's voice and desire to obey Him, which begins as soon as they're old enough to say, 'God'."]
-Jill Rigby


I'll leave you with this.  Also taken from the book...

Life is not what the world says, but what God says.
It's not about self-discovery, but God-discovery.
It's not finding the answers,
but knowing the One who has the answers.
It's not making ourselves important,
but making God important.
It's not how good we are, but how good God is.
It's not feeling good about ourselves,
but knowing God feels good about us.
It's not about self-fulfillment, but self-denial.
It's not having self-esteem, but Christ-esteem.
It's not loving ourselves, but loving God.
It's not loving ourselves, but loving others.
It's not receiving awards on earth, but rewards in heaven.
Wise Old Wilbur

I believe this is something we could all benefit from daily!  Hope you all enjoy the rest of your week!  I'm super pumped for Highlands women's conference this weekend.  Ready for a girly weekend with my favorite women and some Jesus time!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment